I’ve been making this African Casserole dish for over 15 years. It’s one of the easiest and tastiest chicken dishes you’ll ever make. The flavors are deep and authentic. With just a few ingredients, all of which you’ll find in your supermarket, you’ll be able to feed your family a truly healthy and delicious dinner. This is comfort food at it’s finest. It’s one of those dishes that you’ll want to make for your family every week, but only if you want to lose weight!
If you’ve been following me and my blog for while, you might have noticed that I’ve been on a bit of a hiatus lately. Busy, busy, busy is an understatement! I’m happy to be back.
I’ve always believed that food is at its very best when it’s prepared and shared with family and friends. Good food is made by good cooks and good cooks never forget where they came from and all that they learned and loved along the way. I love you all and I hope you enjoy the recipes I share with you.
- 2 large chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup currants or chopped dates
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and brown on all sides. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Add the onion and sauté until translucent. Add the garlic and ginger and sauté for another minute.
- Add the broth, tomato paste, paprika, coriander, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Stir until well combined.
- Add the chicken back into the pan and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Add the onion, tomato, cilantro, parsley, green onions, raisins, pine nuts and currants. Stir until well combined. Simmer for another 5-10 minutes or until flavors have melded.
- Serve over rice, couscous or pasta.