I made these Tar Tar Bites for Christmas Eve this year and they were such a hit. I’ve been wanting to make them for a few years and finally decided to give them a go. The recipe comes from a cookbook I purchased several years back called, “Everyday Delicious” by Michelle Bernstein. I love this cookbook and actually, I know I’m not alone in saying this. If you’ve never used this cookbook, it’s one I highly recommend. So many great recipes! You can find this cookbook on Amazon here.
I had a friend of mine over for dinner on Christmas Eve and we served these Tar Tar bites as an appetizer and they were the talk of the night. They were a hit all around. They also happen to be really easy to make, which is always a plus. You can serve them as an appetizer or if you want, make them into our secondary main dish and serve them as a main course. There are so many ways to customize the recipe.
These chicken tar tar bites are typically served with a pesto sauce. This is where you can be creative and add in whatever ingredients you like. I chose to stick with traditional flavors and paired them with the pesto. They are very flavorful and made with a delicious creamy sauce. If you’ve never had Tar Tar, they are a bit like chicken nuggets. They are very tender and fall apart easily, so be careful when assembling them.
If you’re looking for a tasty appetizer or main dish, these are the perfect way to go. The flavor combinations in the chicken are just perfect. And the sweet and creamy sauce is a perfect foil for the chicken.
- 1 lb. boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup capers, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh tarragon
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine the chicken, panko, Parmesan, parsley, thyme, basil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, and dried basil in a large bowl. Toss to coat.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken mixture to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the flour to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Add the broth and cream to the skillet, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon juice, capers, parsley, basil, thyme, chives, and tarragon.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and stir to coat.
- Bake the chicken mixture in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and serve immediately.